I’m sure everyone has been told to be careful about sticking Q-Tips too far in their ears. However, it may be a good idea to forgo the use of Q-Tips for cleaning ears all together.
Why Shouldn’t I Use a Q-Tip to Clean My Ears?
- Ears are self-cleaning.
- The wax is a natural antibiotic that coats the ear canal and protects it against infection.
- Using a Q-Tip can also puncture the ear drum, which can result in surgery.
- If you touch the ear drum, you also put pressure on the hammer, anvil and stirrup underneath.
- Putting too much pressure on these small bones can cause issues with hearing and balance.
What Are My Options for Cleaning Ears?
- Over the counter ear drops
- Cleaning with hydrogen peroxide
- Have an ENT clean our your ears professionally