Most of the skin tumors are benign.
What is a lipoma?
- Harmless deposit of fat under the skin(usually found around the neck and back)
- Feels soft and painless
- Rarely harmful, but can be removed upon request
- Assess history of the tumor’s appearance and growth
- Carefully examine the tumor
- Be able to differentiate the tumors
- Consider the amount of sun exposure the patient has
- Refer to the biopsy
There are many types of skin tumors, but lipoma has distinct characteristics:
- Easily movable by fingers
- Pale and colorless
- Slow growth
Doctors can diagnose a lipoma through a physical exam. Sometimes a biopsy can be conducted. Further testing includes MRI and CT scans only if the biopsy picks up something that seems suspect.